Monday, 20 February 2017

Boo's NPL Review - Week 3 - Nelson Muntz Goes To JL Murphy Reserve

NPL Victoria

Port Melbourne shocked everyone, and inspired a "Let's All Laugh at South Melbourne" Movement, when they beat the next A-League club 4-0 on Friday night. For more, as always, check out South of the Border.

The Finals are still a long way away, and Oakleigh Cannons just can't wait that long to start their choking, so they threw away a 2-0 lead for a second week in a row. This time it was against Bulleen Lions. One day I might do some stats on how many early season home games Oakleigh have had over the years.

Melbourne Knights lost 1-2 at home to Pascoe Vale. Michael Ferrante scored the winner, a champion player and person. Didn't want either team to lose which is why I opted not to go to this game.

North Geelong took the lead with a cracker, but like Ol' Man River Bentleigh Greens just keep on rolling along. The Greens fought back to win 2-1 and their form is ominous.

Heidelberg United went down 0-1 at home to Avondale. Didn't sound like a very exciting game listening to it on FFV Radio.

Not many teams come back from 2-0 down after three minutes. St Albans didn't buck that trend, going on to be smashed 5-0 bu Hume City. Attila Ofli and Liam Boland got braces, and I mean 2 goals apiece not metal in their mouths.

NPL Two East

Friday night saw an improved Richmond draw 1-1 with Springvale White Eagles at Kevin Bartlett Reserve. A clever, quick and curling free-kick from Rudi Saglam gave the home side a deserved lead. With half an hour left Richmond were down to ten men after the assistant referee spotted an infringement from Halil Gur. The White Eagles bundled home an equaliser but the other Eagles were not without their chances in taking full points in an entertaining encounter.

Dandenong City beat Melbourne City Youth 2-0, with a goal in each half. Mate Dugandzic was back in the starting line-up with Ljubo Milicevic having another run off the bench.

On the tenth year anniversary of his five goals in an A-League Grand Final, Archie Thompson couldn't find the net against Eastern Lions. The Lions returned from Murray United with a 2-0 win to maintain an unbeaten start to the season. Did he cop a "Who are ya?" from the travelling Lions faithful?

There was no 8 or 9 or whatever it was last year for Brandon Barnes as Dandenong Thunder defeated Nunawading City (now with added mercenaries) 2-1. Barnes opened the scoring before Nuna equalised before half-time. A cracker from Alon Blumgart after the break gave Thunder the win.

Goulburn Valley Suns and Box Hill United played out a 0-0 draw in Shepparton. It was the third 0-0 draw for United in a row to open the season, and they shall now be dubbed "The Entertainers" in the same ironic way redheads get called Bluey.

NPL Two West

Bendigo City nearly took their first point until a late winner from Moreland City came along. Don't look at sportingpulse results service to find out what minute the goal was, there's fuck all there.

At Epping Stadium the late goal was an equaliser, for Whittlesea Ranges after Brunswick City had taken a fifth minute lead.

Sunshine George Cross beat Werribee City 2-1 in what won't be the last game at Chaplin Reserve.

Moreland Zebras had no trouble scoring again, but leaking a few goals saw them blow good leads to draw 3-3 at home to Melbourne Victory Youth.

Northcote City are looking they will walk this league in (but I stayed up until 1 am thinking Jared Tallent was going to do likewise in Rio, so who am I to say) and continued their winning ways with a 4-1 defeat of Ballarat City. Four points clear after three games, not a bad start.


It was good to see Andrew Viola back in Richmond colours. Amid the turmoil of 2012-13 the circumstances of his departure was particularly disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment