Monday 2 April 2018

Another Project For The Backburner

A few years ago Pave Jusup asked if I'd kept any records on junior leagues. I said no, as given the obscurity of finding some senior and reserves final tables I figured I would be on a hiding to nothing attempting to compile that data.

Well, like the glutton for punishment that I am, I've decided to have a crack. This preliminary attempt is based of what could be found in VSF Yearbooks, FFV Annual Reports and the current FFV website. I've yet to go through the Soccer Action era to fill in more of the 1970's and 1980's but most of that should be covered. I will make notes in the comments section below on my success in that area.

As usual, there is a void in the years 2002-2003 where official record keeping did not keep up with changes in the digital age. If anyone can help, please contact me at markboric@bigpond.com
That goes for any other of the gaps throughout time. Once again, I will be using the comments section to provide updates.

Compiling this list emphasised the growth of the game over the years, most especially the recent boom in female football. The changes in junior boundaries can also be observed. Then there are the experiments like dividing the 1996 season into Autumn and Winter Competitions.

I will soon go through the Soccer Action collection to update those years, but this project is very much on the backburner, down the list of my other historical searches. Unless there is a flood of information supplied (I'm happy to do the typing) further updates may be some time coming. There are the usual issues of VSF Yearbooks neglecting junior details in many years.

Here is the link to the file:

Victorian Junior League Champions

Things have been a little quiet on the blogging side recently, as I'm going through old notes to double check and reorganise my records as I try and track down what is missing to complete the seasons from 1910-1949. I've made a few State Library visits for very little reward.

If anyone wants some clip art, here is my current collection:

Clip Art File

I've also got this Sportsworld magazine article on the 1974 Socceroos to add to the historical documents:

Sportsworld - 1974 Socceroos

In the next month I'll also be adding some great content on early Socceroos and representative games sent to me by Doug Butcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.